My water smells like chlorine, why is chlorine added?
Chlorine is added to tap water to make sure that any harmful germs in the water are killed. When you can taste or smell a bit of chlorine, your water has been properly treated.

If you taste or smell chlorine in your water and consider it unpleasant, you can purchase a point of use treatment unit to remove the taste of chlorine. Consumers interested in a point of use water treatment device should "shop around" first. Carefully read the product information to understand what you are buying before purchasing. No single device takes out every kind of drinking water contaminant; you must decide which type best meets your needs. Once purchased, be certain to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for operation and maintenance, especially changing the filter on a regular basis.

Show All Answers

1. Where can I find more information about drinking water home treatment units?
2. My water has a different taste and/or odor. Is it safe to drink?
3. Do I need to flush out my hot water heater?
4. Why does my water smell septic?
5. My water smells like chlorine, why is chlorine added?